Why read aloud to very young children?
- - Because children who are read to:
- Discover that books are fun
- Become better listeners
- Understand the world better
- Have a greater chance to succeed in school
- Get to cuddle with their favorite person: you
- Experience beautiful art in picture books
- Approach learning to read with enthusiasm
Books for Babies, Toddlers & Preschoolers
Reading Aloud Tips
- Choose children's books that you enjoy
- Read and reread your child's favorite books
- Set aside a time, every day, for reading aloud
- Let your child participate in the story
- Remember: enjoy the book, don't teach it
- Read aloud even after your child learns how to read
- Be a role model - let your child see you reading too
Remember - - Get your child a Library Card
- Check out books from the Library
- Books make great gifts
For more information about books and programs for young children and their families, please contact your local library.
A project of the Library Foundation of Los Angeles.